Not so long ago, in order to find out the necessary information, a person had to go to the library, collect a bunch of books and sit from morning to night and look for it in various encyclopedias or other books. In modern times, everything is much simpler. In order to learn something you need only a few minutes, a computer and the Internet. In the presence of everything that was mentioned earlier, the least remains – to write your question to the search engine and the result will not be long in coming.
What is a search engine?
A search engine, also called a search engine, is a site with which you can find any information that the user requests. Such a site is built using algorithms and robots, thanks to which a large number of sites, pictures and much more are indexed in a fraction of a second. Searching for information can be done not only in a standard way on a search site using keywords, but also by image or by voice message. In most cases, the search engine answers the user’s questions according to the regional location.
Search Engine Types
The search engine exists of the following types:
How does a search engine work?
First you need to understand what the principle of the search engine. The most basic functions of a search engine are:
- Scanning and indexing numerous documents, photos and pages;
- Issuance of answers to the question asked, which are in the list, according to popularity.
To understand how a search site works, you need to familiarize yourself with it in more detail. Crawling and indexing works on the links that are needed in order for the site robots to find a lot of documents that are somehow related to each other. The robots then save the information to a hard drive. And later, all this is extracted and issued to the user as a response.
Data centers are used to store all this information. These are huge rooms in which there are gigantic computers. These machines are used to quickly find the right information, because users do not like to wait a long time.
In the future, the search engine provides answers using the registry already in the program code, collected by special programs (robots, spiders), which constantly shovel the entire Internet to find the necessary information. Answers are given as they are popular with users. Since the more visits to the site, the higher the rating, the correspondingly more popularity. And in this case, this document will be in the top on the first pages of the site. And most importantly, documents are sorted according to the level of importance and popularity not manually, but with the help of the site’s algorithm, which filters out unnecessary information and distributes what is needed in the proper order.
After reading everything that is written above, a person may think that all this is very complicated and confusing. But in fact, everything is much simpler.
The site – the search engine gives some useful tips to simplify and optimize the search.
Tips for website builders:
- The site should be created for users who will be interested in it, and not for a search engine. Do not deceive visitors by creating various misinformation, just to lure them to your site;
- Pages must have at least one text link;
- Websites should contain useful information. The elements and values of the ALT attribute must be written;
- The URL should be readable and should use 301 redirects or rel="canonical” tags to duplicate content.
Search engine query types
For the best search result, queries are divided into the following types:
- Navigation queries exist to search for specific sites, such as Facebook, VKontakte, and so on. Which is very convenient when moving from site to site.;
- Information requests should answer the questions posed, such as “how to make a website?” etc. In a word, this type of request is looking for advice on how to act in order to succeed in a particular case;
- Transactional requests indicate that the user is ready to purchase a certain product. And the task of the search is in the command: “buy a bicycle Eaglet”;
- Geo-dependent requests point to a specific region: “order a cafe in Moscow”;
- Multimedia queries: “happy New Year pictures”.